Steve Mann of purepowerlifting.com in Pennsylvania hosted the 2015 USA Powerlifting Raw National Championships. Final on-line registration count was 1,147. According to the results of the original count, 990 showed up and competed. Wisconsin had good representation across thirteen divisions with 34 members. I hope you were able to watch on the Purepowerlifting.com YouTube channel, the videos are still available.
As one of the many on the officiating crew, I was able to see many great lifts from one of the best views in the house. With four platforms, multiple days and sessions, I also missed many of the Wisconsin lifts. Going through my personal Facebook page along with that of the USA Powerlifting Facebook group, I find the feeds full of news of competition. In the thirteen divisions Wisconsin earned 7 – 1st places, 4 – 2nd, 5 – 3rd, 2 – 4th, 2 – 5th, 2 – 6th, 2 – 7th, 1 – 8th, 1 – 9th. Take a look at the names, individual lifts and places on ’15 USAPL Raw Nationals Wisconsin Results.
The photography crew at the contest was top-notch. Take a look at the pictures online.
With another weekend of members doing well in competition at the national level and hopefully hungry for more, I look forward to the next one. Congratulations to all Wisconsin members.
WI USAPL State Chair
Sunday Dec. 6th 8:00 am to 4:00 pm
Racine, WI – Horlick High School Fitness Center
2119 Rapids Drive 53404
Additional Details: Enter through the doors at the back south-east corner of the building. Once inside the building, walk down the hallway until you see a doorway on your right with a sign for the course.
$295 per person, not negotiable but worth it. Have your current USAPL number available when you register.
Its’ the only way to lock in your spot. No walk-ins or spectators.
Registration Deadline: 11/19/15
Instructor: Josh Rohr of Atlanta, GA
Earn 0.5 NSCA CEU’s! More details.
Club Coach (USAPL-CC): coaching novice to state level lifters, club team coach
- Basic human anatomy and physiology
- Biomechanical aspects of human movement
- Exercise descriptions and movement performance
- Rules of performance (squat, bench press, deadlift)
- Basic review of USAPL & IPF Technical Rules
- Methodology, principles, and theories of meet preparation and strength training
- Evaluation of performance
Senior National Coach (USAPL-SNC): coaching state to national level lifters, national team coach, and assistant coach at international events
- All topics listed for Club Coach
- More thorough review of USAPL & IPF Technical Rules
- National team and meet management & strategy
- Advanced meet preparation and training
- Roles and responsibilities of an assistant coach at international events
Senior International Coach (USAPL-SIC): coaching national to international level lifters and teams, international team assistant & head coach.
*In order to sit for the USAPL-SIC exam you must have served as an assistant coach on a national team competing abroad.*
- All topics listed for Club & Senior National Coach
- Intense examination and review of USAPL & IPF Technical Rules
- Drug testing parameters and protocol
- International team and meet management & strategy
- Roles and responsibilities of the head and assistant coaches at international events
Meal is not included. There will be a pre-order opportunity once the minimum of ten slots is filled. More details to come on this.
Busy week and month for powerlifting in Wisconsin:
- Ron Burmeister and the Winneconne HS powerlifting team ran a very successful competition this past weekend for 44 lifters. At least half of them were participating in their first competition. I think we will see them all at another contest now that they have one under their belt.
- This Saturday is one last opportunity for Wisconsin lifters of any age to qualify for the upcoming USAPL Raw Nationals in mid-October. Erich Mach and Necedah HS powerlifting team are hosting this competition. Raw Nationals is already over 750 registered competitors and will be the contest of the year. Hopefully all on Saturday will qualify – that is their goal.
- The Western Wisconsin Open on October 31 has reached the halfway mark on number of registered competitors, thirty slots remain. Remember, what you wear on the platform is referred to as a ‘costume’ in the USAPL rulebook. Look like a lifter and be a lifter at this contest on Halloween.
- Are there specific types of vendors you would like to see at the contests? Let me know so I can help this happen.
- Traveling this week? To school. To work. To the gym. To Scranton, PA for BP Nationals. To Prague for Sub-Junior and Junior World Championships. Good luck to all of these competitors.
- BP Nats competitors from WI:
- Dave Doan – M2A category
- Robert Crawford – M3A
- Dave Johnson – M1B
- Luke Hanifen – Open
- Tyler David (Necedah) – T2 (16)
- IPF Sub-junior & Junior competitors & coach from WI that are on the national team:
- Stephanie Rattunde – 43kg – Necedah HS
- Taylor LaChapelle – 47 kg – Adams-Friendship HS
- Tristyn Hutchins – 52kg – Necedah HS
- Lauren Lent – 57kg – Whitnall HS
- Samantha Kroll – 63kg – Eau Claire North HS (great article on Sam)
- Mackenzie Curtis – 84kg – River Falls HS
- Kim Johnson – 57kg – UW Green Bay
- Mariah Hamm – 84kg – UW Eau Claire
- Ken Johnson – 53kg – Horlick HS
- Mike Voegel – 66kg – Whitnall HS
- Mitch Cowman – 105kg – Whitnall HS
- Alex Stoll – 120kg – Osceola HS
- RG Lukow – sub-junior national team assistant coach
- If you know Wisconsin teenagers interested in powerlifting, do show them this list above. Every year teenagers from Wisconsin go on to represent the US on the national team. They started in the Wisconsin High School Powerlifting Association (WHSPA).
- Keep checking this website for updates on all of the meets mentioned here.
- Are you a geek about data entry? A 9 key whiz? I am looking for someone to assist throughout the year in record database updating. A way to contribute behind the scenes.
- Two more individuals are state level referees for the USAPL; Neil Steinmetz and Frank Jones
- Keep the technical questions coming to me. I will get you the correct, vetted answer in a timely manner. It’s one of my duties as your state chair.
This email is long enough. Best to all at home and those traveling this week.
WI USAPL State Chair
IPF Category II official
WI State Open meet director – 1-16-16
The 2016 USAPL WI State Open will be on 1-16-16 and again proudly hosted by the Whitnall HS Powerlifting Team in Greenfield, WI. We’re on the USAPL calendar as sanctioned contest, WI-2016-01. Meet director is myself – so I will take your questions. There will be on-line registration available later in this year. Three-lift and bench press only, gear and raw on four platforms for ages 14 and up. No cap on number of competitors – unless we blow up!
The Badger Open was another very successful contest in June. Many individuals were able to qualify for USAPL raw nationals (Oct) while geared lifters hit QTs for upcoming contests.
The Summer Splash was this past Saturday in Omro with 33 lifters, many of them being ‘first-timers’ out of Necedah. What is interesting is that these individuals are parents of the high school team members and committed to training with the goal of qualifying for raw nationals. Almost all did. Congrats! Many of the teen competitors kept up training even while school is out to hit new PRs or get a QT for high school nationals.
Once again we have many lifters between the ages of 15 and 23 training for the IPF sub-junior & junior world championships in Prague beginning of September. Every rep, set and workout counts now. Their dedication in these summer months is admirable. At least eight on the national team are from Wisconsin.
Let me know if you are going to raw national, bench press nationals or masters worlds. Include a photo and I will be happy to brag about you on the USAPL Wisconsin Facebook page.
Western Wisconsin Open meet director Chuck Eaton tells me there at 20 out of 60 slots full for October 31. The contest is in Hudson and the border battle with Minnesota continues on.
The Wolf Open is the next contest in our state on August 22. You may want to plan a summer ride to Winneconne as it is a beautiful morning drive in, watch some great lifting and cruise home on the county backroads. If this is your first meet, please check out our new competitor page.
Raw Nationals in Scranton is over 400 competitors. Do not delay getting your registration in.
Interested in testing for USAPL state level referee? Work with me on how to.
All the best in powerlifting and life!
WI State Chair
This Saturday is the Badger Open in Neenah and the preliminary roster can be found online. Two platform contest with 3-4 flights on each. There will be equipment check and weigh-ins starting at 7:00 am. Be there early to get through registration if competing and have your membership already purchased. Print it or be ready to show on your phone.
Hudson…there is a contest in Hudson, WI this year!. Meet directors Chuck Eaton and Ray Curtis are proudly hosting the Western Wisconsin Open on October 31 at the Hudson House. Sanction number WI-2015-09 – as in 9th contest in this calendar year. Will let you know when the entry form will be available. Cap is 60 competitors.
Summer Splash is the next contest for teenagers on July 25th in Omro, WI. Entry form can be found on the WHSPA website. It is an opportunity to qualify for a national level competition such as… ’16 HS Nationals in Orlando.
Did you break a state record at a contest in the state or another state or in another country?. I might not know about your accomplishment to recognize it properly. Please do let me know.
The IPF Raw Classic Worlds is still going on in Sweden right now and if I am reading the schedule correctly, Alex Pinnow and Andy Askow, Wisconsin college students lift tomorrow Wednesday. Stacie Pomrening of Neenah also lifts tomorrow. Livestreaming and the schedule are available online. Our teammates are five hours ahead of us so you can watch raw powerlifting with your morning coffee.
WI USAPL State Chair